The Musicality of Being Sidelined

I believe on my last post I complained of ankle pain. On this post I will complain about foot pain (only for about 2 sentences, I promise) To fix my ankle issue, I bought an ankle brace, wore it too tightly, and now I have a case of the...well...I' don't think there's a name for it, but I'll call it sore foot. I have been sidelined since Sunday and since then I have come down with a case of restless leg syndrome. I'm itching to get out there.
I'm ready to go in, coach, just give me a chance.

However, I am also trying to be smart. My foot was feeling pretty good today, but I wanted to wait one day after it felt better again to run.

While I've been sitting around on my butt all week, I decided to make a new playlist. I stopped running with music a couple of months ago because I found myself not paying attention to the music anyway. I would just get lost in my own thoughts. But, it occurred to me that I just think I was bored with the music. I had the same playlist for 3 years. So, following the "5 key Ingredients to the Perfect Playlist" I created a new playlist. Incase you don't want to click the link and find out wat the ingredients are, I will state them for you.

  1. “Hanging By A Moment” by Lifehouse. Lauren swears by this song. This song has been on every running playlist she has made. Since I'm following her rules, I added it to mine.
  2. A mixture of songs.  This is self explanatory. Don't have a list full of only hip-hop, or techno, etc. Explore your musical tastes eclectify (yes, I do make up my one words) your playlist.
  3. Separate out each “type” of song and artist throughout the list. I should have a problem with this because I use an iPod shuffle...so it shuffles for me :)
  4. Make the playlist longer than what you think you’ll need.  She says to do this for two reasons: a.) in case you end up hating certain songs while I’m running and want to skip them, and b.) in case something goes wrong during the race and you end up running longer than expected.
  5. Do not underestimate the power of boy bands.  I think this is probably the best advice. I looooooooooooooooooove music, and I looooooooooooooooooove to sing outloud to music, because it makes me happy. Boybands make me happy!

So...drumroll please...
Total songs: 39    Total time: 2.4 hours


I have included some power songs (Remember the Name, Just a Girl), some fun songs I just live to sing and jump around like a buffoon when I hear them (Gangham Style, Footloose, Love Shack, Pretty Fly for a White Guy), some of my playlist staples (Bad Moon Rising, Inner Smile, Dashboard), and a little of everything else in between.  I am excited to try the new playlist out and see if it helps me move a little faster. Let me know what you guys think.

Do you run/workout with music?

What songs are on your playlist?


1 comment:

  1. I followed your blog link on Daily Mile and am excited to check out some of the songs I haven't heard that are on your playlist!

    I have a playlist I put on shuffle & loop for any distance run. I typed it up recently for a friend so I figured I would share it here, too.
    I thought about editing it down a little for shorter distance races so I could have only songs with a very high BPM, but I haven't done that yet. Many of them I did get after searching through the jog.fm site for songs with a beat conducive to a 7:30-sh pace.
    I generally like songs with a easy to identify beat and also that put me in a good mood.

    1. Bohemian Like You version from The Very Best Running Tracks
    2. Beautiful Day by U2
    3. Helicopter by Bloc Party
    4. Infinity Guitars by Sleigh Bells
    5. Electric Feel by MGMT
    6. Work (featuring Missy Elliott) by Ciara
    7. Pumped Up Kicks version from the Biggest Loser Workout Mix
    8. Superstar (Ronnie Maze Club Mix) version from Power Music Workout album
    9. Disparate Youth by Santigold
    10. Starry Eyed by Ellie Goulding
    11. Rock that Body by The Black Peas (I actually have it in here 3x!)
    12. Making Me Nervous by Brad Sucks
    13. Feel So Close (Extended Mix) by Calvin Harris
    14. Lonely Boy by the Black Keys
    15. (Stronger) What Doesn't Kill You (The Factory Team Workout Mix) on SparkPeople Top Workout Songs of 2012
    16. Stronger (A-trak Remix) by Kanye West
    17. Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet
    18. Paddling Out by Miike Snow
    19. Daylight by Matt & Kim
    20. Friday on My Mind by the Easybeats on the Pirate Radio Motion Picture Soundtrack
    21. Gamma Ray (Jay Reatard Version) by Beck
    22. Heaven's On Fire by The Radio Dept.
    23. Indie Rokkers by MGMT
    24. Kids (Soulwax remix) by MGMT
    25. Mr. Driver by the Black Lips
    26. The Page by Chromatics
    27. Run Run Run by Dragonette
    28. (Sky Meets) Bittersweet Symphony by Lanfranchi & Farina on the album Make it Pop! Electro Anthems Non-Stop Workout
    29. Go With the Flow by Queens of the Stone Age
    30. Sanctuary (Radio Edit) by Gareth Emery & Lucy Saunders
    31. Are We All We Are by Pink
    32. Promises (Skrillex & Nero Remix) by Nero on Welcome Reality + album
    33. Gilt Complex by Sons and Daughters
    34. Kyoto (featuring Sirah) by Skrillex

    Happy running!

    ReplyDelete