Runniversary Reflection

It's my 1st Runniversary!


I have been reflecting a lot lately. About my training, and the way I am carrying it out. I have in the past been very negative towards it, often comparing myself to others. I don't want to do this anymore. I am my own person. I am proud of what I have accomplished so far. So, for my 1 year runniversary (it was in February), I changed my blog design and title, and thought I would reflect a little on what I have learned this past year.


  • When I first started running in February of last year, I had no idea what tempo, LSD, cross training, or even how far an actual marathon was. I refused to call myself a runner. Now, I am proud to have added many new words to my vocabulary, and I am a runner. I run, therefore I am! 
  • I started by huffing and puffing through every run, running each one at a pace I hoped to maintain for any given race. I learned this was a very quick way to develop injuries and not improve very much. You can never run an easy run too slow.
  • I learned about ITBS, and that it takes a lot of time to recover, and prevention is the key. Strength training is now my best friend.
  • The running community is amazing an supportive. From the beginner runner to the crazy fast elite. Everyone seems willing to help
  • Compairing myself to others will only bring me down.
  • What you eat matters a lot when it comes to running performance, and how you feel during a run.
  • Hydration, hydration, hydration!

And to end this quick little post, some of my accomplishments from February 2013 to February 2014:
First 5k: 30:33 --- Most recent 5k: 24:43
Longest distance run: 4mi --- Longest run to date: 12.5mi
Fast training pace: 10:00/mi ---Easy training pace: 9:45/mi



*MAF Update:
In my previous post I spoke about heart rate training and more specifically, MAF training. Even though I did a lot of research on it, I think I jumped in too quickly. Unfortunately, the pace MAF training requires me to run at, hurts my knees and feet. So I think until I have a little more running under my belt, I wont be able to continue on with the plan. This doesn't mean I'm not going to run easier at a slower pace though. I am still wearing my HRM, but it's there for a guideline, not a strict rule.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, You have come a long way in a year! Congrats on all your hard work and dedication. It is hard not to compare yourself to others but it's so important! I struggle with that as well. Thinking back on all your progress helps to see where you started and that is a good comparison to make. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete